Thursday, February 2, 2012

Strategies to Help Kids Learn to Read

I found both the Learning to Read and Write: Developmentally Appropriate Practices for Young Children and the Letting go of "Letter of the Week" articles to be very informative, but the one that caught my attention the most was the Letting go of "Letter of the Week" article. I remember being in Kindergarten and getting the letter of the week. We would do activities and have homework that associated with the certain letter of the week. Personally, I learned to read just fine using that method but I can also remember many kids in my class struggling with reading. I thought it was very interesting that both kindergarten teachers in the article used phonics strategies such as looking at the first letter, looking at the last letter, and trying to see if kids recognized chunks in the word. When the teachers used the different strategies it had fantastic results! I feel like this method should be used more often in the classroom instead of sounding out a word letter by letter. I also thought it was very creative that they used student's names to help them recognize letters. After reading the article it seems like learning the letters in the student's names helped the students more than anything. I also liked the fact that both kindergarten teachers gave the children a lot of positive reinforcement when it came to reading. For example, on the first day of school the teacher helped them figure out that they could already read! I believe positive reinforcement is the key to help children learn to read and to help them have a desire to read later on in life.

3 comments:

  1. I also liked the article about letting go of the "letter of the week" method to teaching. I agree that positive reinforcement is the key to success, you would be amazed at the difference a high five or a good job makes in the confidence of a student. Using the letters and relating them to the names of the students was a really cool way to make each of the children feel special and involved too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Bell and Jarvis article also! Studies have shown that children learn more easily when a topic is relevant and interesting to them. This article is a perfect example of learning based on a relevant topic. They were provided with examples that are very familiar to them, and also had connections with their peers photographs and the different letters their names began with. Great ideas and examples in that article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree about using positive reinforcement! That part stood out to me as well. Many teachers have a tendency to first look at how few reading skills a child has. That is discouraging to both the child and the teacher. By showing your students how much they can do rather than they can't do encourages them to read more. I think it helps them to develop a love for reading.

    ReplyDelete