Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Organizing for Literacy

For this week's readings I read Allington's Ch. 12 and the article by Pinnell. Both of these readings emphasize providing reading opportunities throughout the entire day. It is better to have several opportunities throughout the day to work on reading skills versus having a mini lesson or guided reading groups. Reading in connected to every school subject and the kids don't even know they are practicing their reading skills. Both readings also emphasize that before starting an actual lesson it is important to ease the students into it and letting them get a good start to their day. I think activities such as teacher read alouds and writing centers are a great way to gain some literacy knowledge. It is also important to discuss things and have a lot of oral activities to help students with their literacy skills. I thought both of these readings provided great ideas for my future classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I actually read the same readings and also think that they had some great ideas for future classrooms. I think the discussions and oral language activities are really important, especially for younger and less experienced readers so that they can learn the process of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about how reading is connected to everything. That is why it is so important that we do a good job of installing a love for reading in children form the very beginning. I liked how you listed possibilities for extra reading instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that reading can be implemented into any subject that you are teaching. Students will want to read also if it is something they are interested in such as something in science. Relating reading to other content areas is crucial and I believe that this is one of the ways to get your students engaged in the material.

    ReplyDelete